Royal Docks Internship Programme
Royal Docks Internship Programme | Royal Docks
The Royal Docks’ Internship Programme is a new initiative that will give local young people the opportunity to work with organisations in the Royal Docks. If you’re between 18-30 years old, and want the chance to gain valuable skills, experience and knowledge during a 12-month placement with local employers, then this is for you!
The Royal Docks is offering up to 20 internship placements with organisations from a range of sectors to help increase young people’s access to and awareness of the many different types of employers that are based within this area. This initiative is part of the Mayor of Newham’s and Mayor of London’s commitment to investing in the skills and talents of local people and creating more youth employment opportunities, especially in response to the economic impact of Covid-19.
What to expect?
The internship programme has been designed to ensure that you get the skills and knowledge you need to help kickstart your career.
Successful interns will:
- spend 12-months working full time in two different organisations or two different departments
- be provided with one-to-one mentoring, careers coaching and training
- be paid a London Living Wage salary of £10.75/hour
- have the opportunity to work on cross-sector group projects
- You must be between 18-30 years old
- You must be available to start working from January 2021
- There are no minimum qualifications
- No previous work experience is required, just a strong commitment to the role and a willingness to learn.
- Applicants must live, study or have (recently) studied within one of the following postcodes: E13 8, E14 0, E14 2, E16 1, E16 2, E16 3, E16 4, E6 5, E6 6, E6 7, IG11 0, IG11 7, SE28 0, SE28 8. The map below provides an outline of these postcodes.
How to apply?
To register your interest in becoming an intern please email RDInternships@newham.gov.uk with your:
- full name,
- email address and,
- contact number
You will then be contacted with further information on the application process. Interns are expected to begin their placement in January 2021. The application form can be downloaded here. The deadline for application submissions is Sunday 8 November 2020.
Frequently asked questions
Why is this only open to people in these postcodes?
The Enterprise Zone is funded by income borrowed against future business rate income from the Royal Docks. Therefore those who live, study and have recently studied in the Enterprise Zone and the immediate surrounding area need to be the primary beneficiaries of this opportunity.
Which sectors could I work in?
The Royal Docks is home to a number of organisations that span a range of industries meaning you could be working within sectors such as technology, manufacturing, food production, creative, industrial development or transportation etc. We will be sharing more information on the organisations participating in the programme at a later stage.
Is the internship full-time?
Yes, the internships will be full-time (36 hours a week minimum).
How much will I get paid?
Interns will be paid the London Living Wage of £10.75 per hour
What qualifications will I need?
To make sure that these opportunities are accessible to young people from a range of backgrounds, we are not asking for any minimum qualifications. However, interns will be expected to have basic numeracy and literacy skills and there will be a basic assessment during the screening process to confirm this.