Benefits and Business Case Support
Open on: 18/02/2021
Hours per week
We welcome and encourage applications from everyone, including groups currently underrepresented in our workforce and pride ourselves as being an employer of choice. To find out more about how we champion diversity and inclusion in the workplace, visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of-justice/about/equality-and-diversity
Her Majesty’s Prison and Probation Service is undertaking change on multiple fronts. From building additional prison places and reshaping our maintenance to reforming probation delivery models and addressing safety and security in our establishments. This role will give you the chance to get involved with a selection of these projects and programmes, supporting the development of business cases that justify the funding required for delivery, and supporting the benefits work that each project and programme will deliver. In a dynamic environment, excellent stakeholder work is required to succeed. You will join an energetic and fast paced team, and the roles offer an excellent introduction into project management disciplines.
During the current period of uncertainty around Covid-19 the post holder will mainly or wholly work from home, unless there are special circumstances (which we will look to accommodate, if it is safe and possible to do so).
Following any general return of staff to the office, the post holder may be based at alternative HMPPS/MoJ sites available in England or Wales, or may choose to continue working predominantly from home. Staff who need to shield or maintain social distancing will not be disadvantaged.
Overview of the job
This role supports the work of the Benefits and Business Case Team within the Strategy, Planning and Performance Directorate, providing an excellent opportunity to work around some of the largest projects in the Agency.
HM Prison and Probation Service is currently delivering major change on multiple fronts, from building 10,000 additional prison places (as announced by the Prime Minister in August 2019) to delivering probation reform.
The HMPPS Change Portfolio has been set up to manage all major change activity across the agency. The Change Delivery Team manages and sequences the activity of the many projects and programmes that constitute the Portfolio.
The responsibility of a Benefits and Business Case Analyst is twofold. First, they will support the writing and planning of critical business cases, which are indispensable to the successful delivery of our highest profile projects and programmes. Second, they will support in providing assurance and targeted interventions on benefits management to the different projects and programmes.
The post holder will need to demonstrate the ability or potential to deliver good drafting and work with a wide range of people with energy and enthusiasm to drive change. Over time, there may be opportunities to explore other areas of the Change Delivery Team and broaden exposure to portfolio management and project delivery.
This is an exciting time to join the Agency. Some of our business is at the forefront of the Government’s agenda, and this role will enable the post holder to play a key part in getting our reforms delivered.
Responsibilities, Activities & Duties
The job holder will be required to carry out the following responsibilities, activities and duties:
• Plan the assurance and approvals route for business case clearance, liaising with the appropriate Departmental leads
• Drafting of sections of programme and project business cases.
• Engage subject matter experts to deliver contributions to the business case.
• Contribute to relevant Boards and Working Groups, keeping project leads updated on the progress of business cases, and flagging issues for resolution.
• Create additional products as required to facilitate the passage of business cases, including but not limited to Ministerial submissions and senior-level presentations
• Working with projects and programmes to embed sound practice around benefits management, through facilitating benefits-mapping workshops and establishing benefits measurements for projects and programmes.
• Quality assuring Programme Benefits Management Strategies, Benefits Realisation Plans.
• Undertaking Benefits Realisation Reviews to assess benefits realisation against the benefits identified in the Full Business Case, establishing and confirming handover arrangements for benefits monitoring and reporting, and making recommendations for further benefits realisation activities.
• Tracking and monitoring progress towards benefits realisation across the whole Portfolio; producing and owning the Benefits Tracker, updating it at key stages.
• Ensuring projects and programmes work with the business to ensure benefits are identified.
• Contribute in establishing and managing appropriate plans, processes and products to ensure the effective management of benefits for projects and programmes across the whole Portfolio.
• Help in building a culture of continuous improvement and optimisation within both business case production and benefits management.
The duties/responsibilities listed above describe the post as it is at present and is not intended to be exhaustive. The job holder is expected to accept reasonable alterations and additional tasks of a similar level that may be necessary. Significant adjustments may require re-examination under the Job Evaluation Scheme and shall be discussed in the first instance with the job holder.
Contact us for more information